Recruiting international talent: what situations make it quicker to get a work permit?

The internationalisation of the labour market is a reality, especially in dynamic and innovative environments due to the demand for specialised professionals. However, it can entail a series of difficulties, not only because of the scarcity of these profiles, but also because of the bureaucratic barriers to regularising their employment situation. 

It is true that not all recruitments of this type are the same and, in fact, recruiting a professional from the European Union can be as easy as recruiting any Spaniard. However, when it comes to covering a specific profile, it is possible that non-EU nationals may be involved, and this could be problematic, as it requires obtaining a work and residence permit.

In what situations can workers find themselves in order to obtain a work permit?

The ease of obtaining the permit will depend, in particular, on whether the worker is an EU or non-EU worker:
1. If they are EU workers, they only need to obtain the NIE in order to sign an employment contract. The NIE is the foreigner's identification number issued by the Directorate General of Police, and is also used to carry out all kinds of economic and tax transactions, such as opening a bank account, buying and selling real estate or setting up a company. It must be distinguished from the EU citizen's registration certificate, which is the card that can be processed by EU citizens who are going to reside in Spain for a long period of time. 
For foreigners who wish to apply for residency, the certificate of registration as a citizen of the Union.
2. In the case of foreigners from outside the European Union, there are usually three common situations for obtaining a residence permit:
  • Residence permit for trainees
This type of authorisation is aimed at those professionals who have finished level 6 or higher studies (university studies, Master's or doctorate) in the last two years from the date of the university degree, both inside and outside Spain. It is also possible for those who are still pursuing a degree to apply for residence. 
  • Residence permit for highly qualified professionals
These are professionals who apply for an offer of higher qualification to occupy managerial or executive positions, or who receive a high salary. They must hold a university degree or have more than 3 years' experience.
  • Intra-corporate transfer authorisation
This is for non-EU workers who work in a foreign company and are transferred to a branch of the company in Spain. 
At CINC Asesoría's Immigration Department, we note that these are the most common situations, but there may be other cases that can also be studied.

How long does it take for work authorisations to be resolved?

Residence permits for trainees and highly qualified professionals can be granted in as little as 20 days. In addition, they can be requested for spouses and immediate family members and are resolved at the same time. This is possible thanks to Law 14/2013 on support for entrepreneurs and their internationalisation.

CINC Asesoría helps you to obtain work permits and authorisations quickly and easily

At CINC Asesoría we are specialists in foreigners and we know very well the casuistry and difficulties that companies encounter when hiring personnel from outside Spain to help them successfully obtain work and residence permits for their employees. 
We are at your disposal to guarantee the resolution of your employees' work permits and authorisations. To this end, we offer you:
  • More than 20 years of experience in immigration.
  • Personalised advice and service.
  • Agility in all processes and procedures.
In addition, we can also help you with the processing of other procedures, such as obtaining Spanish nationality, EU citizen registration certificates, study permits, social and labour roots and much more. 
Do not hesitate to contact our Immigration Department, we will be happy to help you.
933 030 060 (Barcelona)
972 940 940 (Girona)
972 505 100 (Figueres)


Keep reading

View all
March 4, 2022

The self-employed collaborator: requirements and advantages of this employment model

It is quite common among SMEs to include family members in the business, as they are people who know the activity quite well, and it is easier for them than hiring someone from outside. However, their hiring is not regulated like that of any salaried worker, but through a special figure, that of the collaborating freelancer, whose regime is different from that of the self-employed. 

Read more